Welcome to Laudholm Farm! One of the prettiest saltwater farms in Maine. With the wide-open sky, rolling fields, and a short walk to a gorgeous, peaceful beach, it really couldn’t be more ideally situated.
In the early 1900s Laudholm Farms was the largest and most progressive saltwater farm in York County, maintaining a long-held prominence in the area. Laudholm farmed milk, cream, butter, eggs, broilers, and roasting chickens were sold to locals and shipped weekly to Boston.
The site was originally occupied in 1643 by Henrey Boade, one of the founders of the town of Wells. Boade soon sold the land to William Symond.
The original farm was destroyed by a fire during King Phillips War in 1676.
The property was not occupied again until 1717 when it was taken over by Nathaniel Clark Jr. The Clark family ran a highly successful agricultural operation for 150 years.
In 1881 the estate was sold to the president of the Boston & Maine Railroad George Clement Lord, he purchased the estate known as Farm Hill and planned on transforming it into a summer retreat and a gentleman’s farm. He named the farm, “The Elms,” and built his personal railroad station nearby. His son Robert had a strong interest in agriculture and imported purebred Guernsey cattle. Robert took over the farm after his father’s death in 1893, and he and his brother Charles renamed the estate “Laudholm Farms”. They increased the herd of cows and transformed the farm into a successful dairy operation. Under Robert’s management, the farm was transformed. A new Jamesway 120 Ton Barn was constructed, as well as the ice house and the water tower.
Charles took over the management in 1908 when his brother Robert died. He added poultry operations. The years 1910 through 1929 were the golden age for Laudholm.
In 1920 with the Depression taking hold, the Lord family decided to welcome borders to bring in some extra income.
Charles deeded the farm to his three children in 1931. His son George managed the farm until 1952 when he sold his Guernsey herd. The land was farmed and hayed by local farmers until George’s death in 1977.
Now on the National Register of Historic Places, the Laudholm Farm was preserved for a purpose. Now Wells Reserve is a center for education, conservation, and research. Laudholm Trust remains a force, providing support for Wells Reserve programs, operations, and capital improvements.