Even though it doesn’t feel much like summer today, I know its on the way. With the pending arrival of the warm weather, I have been getting ready with all the summery flavors. While there are quite a few flavors that taste like summer, nothing tops citrus, lemon to be exact.
Today’s recipe is my favorite lemon cupcakes! I have also made this in cake form, with just a few little changes and it is amazing. I might have to write up that recipe up soon as well. The lemon is quite light in the cupcakes themselves, but it really shines through in the frosting.
- 2 Sticks Butter softened
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 4 eggs
- Zest from 5 lemons
- 1/4 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lemon Butter Cream Frosting
- 6 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 2-4 Tablespoons Cream
- Preheat your oven to 350f, and place your cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until they are slightly fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing lightly between each addition. Add the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients, the buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix well.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and shortening.
- Add in the lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Start out with 2 tablespoons of cream, and add more as needed.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, decorate as you wish!
I used a large star icing tip, and piped on a simple swirl, and decorated with Pretty As A Peach sprinkle medeley from Sweetapolita.
There you have it! These are so light and fresh tasting perfect for any occation.
What is your favorite flavor for summer?